The basket has been updated
Wild Garlic, White Miso and Hemp Seed Pesto Fresh Pasta
The staple of many a student's diet, given a fresh gourmet spin.
- 2 big handfuls of washed wild garlic leaves
- 1tbsp white miso paste
- 1tbsp shelled hemp seeds
- 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1pinch sea salt
- 1kg type ‘00’ fine milled pasta flour
- 9 egg yolks
- 6 whole eggs
Place the ingredients into a bar mixer or Vitamix and blend on a high settting for 45 seconds so that the ingredients are emulsified. Use straight away, or chill in the fridge for later use.
Tip the flour into a mound on a large dry work surface. Make a well in the middle and pour in the yolks and whole eggs. Begin to mix the eggs first with one finger, gently pulling the flour in from the sides of the well. As the mixture thickens use two fingers, then three until the mixture is workable as a dough.
- Knead the pasta dough for 20 minutes or until it begins to feel like satin. Get the elbows and wrists working, it’s a good body work out. Leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes.. Roll out the pasta until it is thin enough to see your palm through, do this in batches and then cut the shapes you require. Using a pasta machine will give you an even finish and regular shaped tagliatelle, but I like keeping it rough cut too.
- Cook the pasta in lightly boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes, lift the pasta out of the water and into a mixing bowl. Spoon in the pesto, using as little or as much as you like. I’m a huge fan of using lots of pesto and making sure the pasta is fully coated. Serve the pasta on warm plates and grate over some parmesan to finish the dish.